Emery K. Harlan
Emery K. Harlan, Firm Chairman, is an experienced litigator and represents companies in all facets of equal opportunities and employment law. Throughout his career, he has litigated age, sex, race, handicap, and religion claims under Title VII and state law, common law tort claims, such as assault, defamation, and intentional infliction of emotional distress, and wage complaints under the Fair Labor Standards Act. He has also coordinated the defense for multi-party litigation on behalf of major corporations.
Mr. Harlan was honored as the Wisconsin Association of African-American Lawyers’ “2012 Outstanding Member of the Year”. He received the 2011 Community Service Award by the Waukesha County National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), which is presented to an individual who demonstrates a compassionate Humanitarian life dedicated to the pursuit of justice. He is AV Preeminent rated by Martindale-Hubbell and was selected as a “2013 Wisconsin Top Rated Lawyer” for general practice based on his rating. In addition, Mr. Harlan was named a 2011 Leader in the Law by the Wisconsin Law Journal and was included on the Wisconsin Super Lawyers® list 2006-2008. Mr. Harlan was also recognized as a Legal Rebel (2009) by the ABA Journal for his achievements in diversifying the legal profession. Mr. Harlan is the Co-Founder, Board Member, and former Board Chair of the National Association of Minority and Women Owned Law Firms (NAMWOLF), a national association dedicated to increasing the usage of minority and women-owned law firms by U.S. corporations.
Not only is he active within the legal community, Mr. Harlan serves the public as a Board Member of Milwaukee Health Services, Urban Day School, Blood Center of Wisconsin, ProHealth Care (Finance and Investment Committee), and the Sharon Lynne Wilson Center for the Arts. He is a Steering Committee member of MIHCA (Minority In House Counsel Association) and an officer of Boulé. He is a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Chicago United Leaders Council, and the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, and also served as Vice Chair of the State of Wisconsin Gaming Board. In 2011, Mr. Harlan was appointed to serve on the Governor’s Council on Workforce Investment.
Mr. Harlan received a B.A. in Business Administration from Siena Heights College and a J.D. from the University of Wisconsin Law School, where he was a Ray & Ethel Brown Fellow. Immediately following law school, Mr. Harlan served as a law clerk for the Honorable George Edwards (dec.) of the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. He is admitted to practice in Wisconsin; Illinois; U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit; U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois; and the U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin.
Education & Bar Admissions
- University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D.
- Siena Heights College, B.A., Business Administration
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
In the News
- 12/4/2014 – Emery Harlan Co-Authors “Uninvited: Preferred Counsel Lists and How They Limit Minority-and Women-Owned Law Firms’ Access to Legal Work”
- 12/1/2014 – GSH Obtains Federal Jury Verdict Against EEOC In Disability Accommodation and Termination Case
- 9/16/2014 – Emery Harlan Quoted in Construction Executive Article
- 11/4/02013 – Milwaukee Attorneys Recognized as Wisconsin’s Top Rated Lawyers of 2013
- 7/29/2013 – GSH Hosted Marquette Law School Summer Youth Institute Students
- 6/25/2013 – Emery Harlan Talks with Bloomberg Law About GSH Being Named a Premier Provider by Microsoft
- 6/20/2012 – “Companies pledge to spend more with diverse outside law firms”
- 5/15/2012 – Emery Harlan and Greg Wesley Recognized as WAAL Outstanding Members of the Year
- 12/14/2011 – Emery Harlan Featured in Cover Story of MBE Magazine
- 10/10/2011- Emery K. Harlan receives the 2011 Community Service Award
- 6/13/2011 – Emery Harlan appointed to Governor’s Council on Workforce Investment (CWI)
- 2/17/2011 – Emery K. Harlan was honored as a 2011 Leader in the Law by the Wisconsin Law Journal
- 2/2/2011 – Gonzalez Saggio & Harlan LLP transitions to a five person Executive Committee
- 1/7/2011 – Emery Harlan has been named a 2011 Leader in the Law
- 12/30/2011 – Emery Harlan interviewed by the Wisconsin Law Journal
- 12/7/2009 – Gonzalez Saggio & Harlan LLP Attorney Awards
- 10/26/2009- Emery K. Harlan recognized as a Legal Rebel by the ABA Journal
- 12/2/2008 – Gonzalez Saggio & Harlan Attorneys Honored
August 10, 2011 — Emery K. Harlan, Esq.
November 18, 2009 — Emery K. Harlan, Esq.
August 19, 2009 — Emery K. Harlan, Esq.
October 15, 2008 — Emery K. Harlan, Esq.