(973) 256-9000 (New Jersey)
(212) 380-9560 (New York)
Download vCard (New Jersey)
Download vCard (New York)
Steven Gerber, Equity Partner, has practiced employment and labor law, representing management exclusively, for more than twenty-five years. His practice also includes complex commercial litigation, complex tort defense litigation, education law, government representation and defense, and land use law. Mr. Gerber acts as class action and consumer fraud co-counsel for a large insurance company; wrongful death counsel for a transportation and shipping provider since 1986; and handles toxic tort matters involving benzene for a major oil company.
Mr. Gerber has been included on the New Jersey Super Lawyers® list several times and most recently selected for inclusion on the New York Super Lawyers list. He is AV Preeminent rated by Martindale-Hubbell, and he was selected as a “2013 Top Rated Lawyer” in Labor & Employment law based on his rating. Mr. Gerber is often quoted in the national and legal media on employment discrimination trends. He has been a lecturer at DRI National Employment Law Seminars and is the co-author of several articles on jury attitudes towards businesses in employment discrimination litigation.
Mr. Gerber is active in the leadership of the DRI – The Voice of the Defense Bar (http://www.dri.org/), the 22,000+ member international association of attorneys devoted to the defense of civil litigation. He was appointed to the 21st Century Lawyer Task Force in 2012, and from 2005 to 2008, Mr. Gerber was a member of DRI’s Law Institute, with responsibility for national CLE programs. From 2002 to 2005, he was one of twelve nationally elected members of DRI’s Board of Directors. Mr. Gerber also chaired DRI’s Public Policy Committee from 2003 to 2005 and was Chair of DRI’s Employment Law Committee from 2000 through 2002.
He is also active in the select Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel (FDCC). Mr. Gerber is the immediate past chair of the FDCC’s Employment and Workplace Law Section. He is a also a member of the select Association of Defense Trial Attorneys, American Bar Association (Member, Litigation Section), New Jersey Defense Association (Member, Labor & Employment Law Section), and the National Association of College & University Attorneys. Active in community affairs, Mr. Gerber is currently a member of the Board of Directors of the United Way of Passaic County, and is a past member of the Board of Directors and Vice President for Government Relations of the New Jersey Tri-County Chamber of Commerce.
Mr. Gerber received a B.A., cum laude, at the State University of New York at Albany and earned his J.D., magna cum laude, from the University at Buffalo School of Law, where he was the Articles Editor of the Buffalo Law Review. He began his career as a law clerk for the late Chief U.S. District Judge for the District of New Jersey, and from 1980 through 1984, he was an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the District of New Jersey.
Mr. Gerber is admitted to practice in New Jersey, New York and Massachusetts; the U.S. District Courts for the District of New Jersey and the Eastern, Northern, and Southern Districts of New York; and the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Second, Third, and Federal Circuits.
Education & Bar Admissions
- University at Buffalo School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
- State University of New York at Albany, B.A., cum laude
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern, Northern, and Southern Districts of New York
- U.S. Courts of Appeals, Second, Third, and Federal Circuits
In the News
- 9/11/2014 – Steven Gerber and Ola Nunez – And the Defense Wins
- 9/16/2013 – Steven Gerber was selected for inclusion in 2013 New York Metro Super Lawyers® List
- 7/12/2013 – Steve Gerber selected as one of New Jersey’s Top Rated Lawyers
- 5/6/2013 – Steven Gerber Presented CLE at DRI Employment & Labor Law Seminar
- 12/27/2012 – Steven Gerber selected as a 2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Labor & Employment
- 12/17/2012 – Steven Gerber and Ola Nunez Featured in DRI’s For the Defense
- 10/23/2012 – Steven Gerber Appointed to DRI’s 21st Century Lawyer Task Force
- 6/20/2012 – “Companies pledge to spend more with diverse outside law firms”
- 12/27/2011 – Steven Gerber authors “Is there a state anti-discrimination statute?”
- 11/30/2011 – Steven Gerber selected to the Claims & Litigation Management Alliance
- 11/7/2011 – Steve Gerber co-authors Juror Attitudes in Harassment & Discrimination lawsuit for United Educators
- 4/1/2010 – Gonzalez Saggio & Harlan surpasses 100 attorneys with the opening of its fourteenth office